Steven Ray Armistead Missing in Action March 17, 1969 Marine All Weather Attack Squadron 533

Steven Ray Armitstead 

Captain

Unit: Marine All Weather Attack Squadron 533 

Date of Birth: June 15,1944
Date of Death: 17-Mar-69
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Notes: Captain Armitstead was a member of the Marine All Weather Attack Squadron 533, Marine Attack Group 12, 1st Marine Air Wing. On March 17, 1969, he was the pilot of a Grumman Attack Aircraft Intruder (A-6A) on a night mission over Laos, when he completed his mission his aircraft was shot down by enemy fire near Moung Nong in Savannakhet Province, Laos and he was declared Missing in Action. His remains were not recovered. His name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial. For more information see: http://taskforceomegainc.org/a023.html

Did you know Steven Ray Armistead? Did you serve with him? Did you wear his bracelet? Do you have a story of him or photo to share?  If you can answer yes to any of those questions, please leave a comment, so all can know that he has not been forgotten.

9 comments:

Diane said...

Never forgotten, honored to have his bracelet.

Gary and Lori Schroeder said...

My wife and I have had Steven's bracelet for many, many years. From time to time, we check the records with the hope for information. Today's was one of those days. Our thoughts go out to his family. I'm 67 and have not forgotten Steven and never will.

Anonymous said...

I'm A Staff Sergeant In The Marine Corps. I Wear Major Armitstead's Bracelet On My Wrist Every Day As A Honor. And Will Keep On Doing So Till The Day I'm Put In The Ground. Semper Fi Marine.

Anonymous said...

I wore his bracelet until it fell off my wrist. My dad repaired it and I continued to wear it until it could no longer be repaired again. Somewhere along my many relocations I lost it, but never forgot the name on the bracelet. So many losses, so many familes grieving their loved ones.

Eleanor Thorne said...

I wore Steve's bracelet for many years and check back periodically to see if there's been news. Our hearts and prayers continue to go out to his family - your sacrifice is not forgotten.

Cala said...

I also wore Steven's bracelet for many years and still have it. He has been in my thoughts - always remembering the date, March 17,1969.

Melloncamp; Ronald K said...

I have in my posession the POW/MIA bracelet of Captain Steven R Armistead USMC shot down over Laos on 17 March, 1969. I wear the bracelet with honor every day and will do so until he is found or his remains are discovered & returned to his family. It is with pride, honor & tears I honor his memory by wearing the bracelet.

Joe Pucci said...

I also have in my posession the POW/MIA bracelet of Captain Steven R Armistead USMC shot down over Laos on 17 March, 1969. I have the bracelet in with my military items and will keep it there until he is found or his remains are discovered & returned to his family. It is with pride, honor & tears I honor his memory by keeping the bracelet.

September 13, 2015

Joan Lee said...

I wore Steven's POW/MIA bracelet while I was in high school during the early 1970s and still have it. I will definitely keep checking back to see if there is any news. My heart goes out to his family.