Samuel Almendariz Missing in Action Vietnam July 12, 1967, 5th Special Forces Group

Samuel Almendariz 

Master Sergeant

Unit: 5th Special Forces Group 

Date of Birth: 10-May-34
Date of Death: 12-Jul-67
City: Mc Allen
State: TX

Notes: Master Sergeant Almendariz was a member of the 5th Special Forces Group. On July 12, 1967, he was on a reconnaissance team operating just inside Laos in the extreme southeast portion of Savannakhet Province. The team came under intense fire and he was killed. His remains were not recovered. His name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial. For more information see: http://taskforceomegainc.org/a361.htm

Did you know Samuel Almendariz? Did you serve with him? Did you wear his bracelet? Do you have a story of him or photo to share?  If you can answer yes to any of those questions, please leave a comment, so all can know that he has not been forgotten.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have worn his bracelet since 1991 when I visited the VietNam Wall and learned that he was from McAllen, Texas, my home town. Samuel Almendariz is not forgotten.

Lili Martin said...

During the Vietnam War, the small town of McAllen, TX had four men MIA. Two were Green Beret Special Forces who were involved in extremely dangerous missions. One of those two was MSG Samuel Almendariz, a man I learned about while doing tributes on FB for what I call "Memorial Day Month" during the month of May. I grew up in a small town next to McAllen, bur spent my adult life and raised my children in McAllen. As soon as I read the story of MSG Almendariz, I began a quest to find a photo of him for the Virtual Wall and I ordered an MIA bracelet with his name on it. I have done extensive research in my efforts to find a photo of him and have learned so much about the MACVSOG program through these efforts. Although I have yet to find a photo of him, I have not and will not give up. When people ask me about the bracelet and I tell them about "my hero", they become enthralled with the story of this hero and those like him. They then leave me with the conviction that is in my soul, "You will find your guy. Don't give up." Samuel Almendariz left six children behind. He is not forgotten, and he will never be forgotten for his sacrifice and heroism.

The Reptile Guy said...

Thank you so much for your post, and thank you so much for making sure that "your hero" is not forgotten. I wish you good luck in your quest, and if you do find that photo, please drop back by, and update us.

Lili Martin said...

Today marks 49 years since MSG Samuel Almendariz was listed as MIA in Laos (KIA/BNR). I have located photos of him for The Wall and remain in contact with his daughter, Rebecca Almendariz, sharing information and photos. Unfortunately, SSG Harry Brown, the only American to survive the mission, passed away several years ago of Agent Orange-related leukemia, so I have been unsuccessful in my quest to speak to him about what really happened. Accounts vary. Now that I have found pictures of my hero, I pray that his remains and those of MSG Robert Sulivan be located and repatriated.