Vladimir Henry Bacik Missing in Action Vietnam August 27, 1967

Vladimir Henry Bacik

Lieutenant Colonel

Unit: Marine All Weather Attack Squadron 533 

Date of Birth: 18-Nov-32
Date of Death: 27-Aug-67
City: Houston
State: TX

Notes: Lieutenant Colonel Bacik was a member of the Marine All Weather Attack Squadron 533, Marine Attack Group 12, 1st Marine Air Wing. On August 27, 1967, he was flying in a Grumman Attack Aircraft Intruder (A-6A) over the South China Sea near North Vietnam, when radio contact was lost. His remains were not recovered. His name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial. http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BacikVH01a.htm

Did you know Vladimir Henry Bacik? Did you serve with him? Did you wear his bracelet? Do you have a story of him or photo to share?  If you can answer yes to any of those questions, please leave a comment, so all can know that he has not been forgotten.

2 comments:

Erik "Vegas" Ostrom said...

First allow me too state that I did not know Major Bacik. My father served in the Army in Vietnam and, upon his return, he purchased a bracelet for himself and my mother. My mother's bracelet honored a Navy POW who was eventually repatriated. My father's bracelet honored Major Bacik.

When I joined the Navy in 1989, my Dad gave me his bracelet. Being a career Naval Aviator myself, I have worn the bracelet in honor of Maj Bacik for the past 22 years. Nearing the end of my career and having served in Yugoslavia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq, I would like to state that it has been my honor to remember Major Bacik and his sacrifice.

Gone perhaps, but not forgotten.

Erik Ostrom
CDR USN

Jim said...

Erik,

I want to take this chance to thank you for your service, and for your father’s service also. As a nation, we owe you both a great debt.
And thanks for you comment on Lieutenant Colonel Bacik. It is always so nice to hear that a MIA from the Vietnam war, is remember even to this day. May God bless you, and protect you in the remainder of your military career.