Charles David Austin Missing in Action Vietnam April 24, 1967

Charles David Austin 

Major

Unit: 433rd Tactical Fighter Squadron 

Date of Birth: 27-Feb-42
Date of Death: 24-Apr-67
City: New Canaan
State: CT

Notes: Major Austin was a member of the 433rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Ubon Airfield, Thailand. On April 24, 1967, he was the bombardier/navigator of a McDonnell Douglas Phantom II Fighter (F-4C) on a strike mission on a five span bridge 4 miles north of the middle of Hanoi, North Vietnam. During the strike his aircraft was hit by flak, disintegrated and crashed. His remains were not recovered. His name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial. For more information see: http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/a/a029.htm

Did you know Charles David Austin? Did you serve with him? Did you wear his bracelet? Do you have a story of him or photo to share?  If you can answer yes to any of those questions, please leave a comment so all can know he has not been forgotten. 

3 comments:

Linda Joiner said...

My name is Linda Bottorff Joiner and I wore Major Charles Austins bracelet. I still have the braclet and had never heard anything about if he was found or not. So, I think I am going to start wearing it again and pray that they find his remains soon. I know that they have found a lot of our guys from the VietNam war and brought them back to the United States for proper burial so I am holding out hope for Major Austin.

The Reptile Guy said...

Linda,

Thank you so much for leaving your comment, and especially for not forgetting Major Austin. God Bless you.

Jim

MaMa Thea said...

I too have Major Austin's bracelet (he was a Captain at the time he was shot down). I wear it proudly on Memorial Day, Veteran's Day and the Fourth of July. I have touched his name on the Vietnam Memorial Wall. I am grateful for the sacrifice he and so many others have made so that I can be free.