Warren Leroy Anderson Missing in Action Vietnam April 26, 1966

Warren Leroy Anderson

 Colonel

Unit: 16th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron 

Date of Birth: 27-Dec-32
Date of Death: 26-Apr-66
City: Camden
State: MI

Notes: Colonel Anderson was a member of the 16th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, 377th Combat Support Group, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, South Vietnam. On April 26, 1966, he was flying in a McDonnell Phantom II Reconnaissance Fighter (RF-4C) on an unarmed night reconnaissance over North Vietnam, when radio contact was lost. His remains were not recovered. His name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial. For more information see: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/wlanderson.htm 

Did you know Warren Leroy Anderson? Did you serve with him? Did you wear his bracelet? Do you have a story of him or photo to share?  If you can answer yes to any of those questions, please leave a comment, so all can know that he has not been forgotten.

6 comments:

Ms. Dashwood said...

In 1972 or so, at the University of Texas at Austin, I purchased a POW-MIA bracelet with Captain Warren Anderson's name on it. When I bought it, the vendor checked his name on a list and said, "Oh, he's no longer missing in action, he's known to be a pow, and she put a blue star sticker on the bracelet, to show that he was a POW. I wore the bracelet, and still have it. My friend left hers with me when she moved, and just today, which was Jan. 10, I saw that the soldier George Howes had gone missing on Jan. 10, 1970.
The last time I checked, the report was that Warren Anderson had perished. Still, I had hoped for many years that somehow he had made it back home.
To the families, no matter my personal feelings against the war, my friends and I bought and wore the bracelets to show support for the soldiers themselves. So sorry for your loss, and thank you for your dedication.

The Reptile Guy said...

Thanks for sharing your story of Colonel Anderson, and for remembering him all these years.

Natalie Rauch said...

Thank you so much for remembering my dad! My name is Natalie Anderson Rauch and I am the oldest of Warren Anderson's four children. We were 8, 6, 5 and 2 when our dad left for Vietnam. His crash site was never found. His status was changed from MIA to KIA/BNR in 1978. If you have any questions you can email me at rauchh@hotmail.com or find me on Facebook: Natalie Anderson Rauch

Jim H. said...

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. We owe your father and those who served with him so much.
Your family paid such a high price for our country, and I want to personally thank you also. I can't imagine what that was like at such a young age.

WSP said...

I too purchased a bracelet sometime early 70's while in high school, in South Carolina. I still have it, sitting in a very prominent location of my living room. It's hard to believe the bracelet date is 50 years ago, this month. His service to our country is most appreciated.
My Dad was a veteran of D-Day, with numerous Battle Stars, and my Mom was a veteran of the Army Nurse Corp, and my youngest son is about 4 yrs out of the Marines. I have great respect for those serving our country. Blessings to all the Anderson family members. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I came across my bracelet today while looking through my old jewelry box. Natalie Rauch, my sincere condolences to you and your family. Your dad was a true hero sacrificing his life for the sake of our country. His memory will live on. God Bless.