1st Lieutenant's Vietnam War Letter May 12, 1968

This letter was written by a 1st Lt., who was in Vietnam May 12, 1968. From the letter…..

   I think your prospects sound great. I’m anxious to hear what kind of job you get, mainly because I’m anxious to hear about anything you do.
   You should have seen the calamity of last night. About 2:30 in the morning, (I was fast asleep) all hell broke loose. I was awake with the first shot and on the floor. My first instinct was to get to my weapon, which I did. I was all ready for the kill, for I knew the VC had surrounded our hooch. My roommate was also on the floor, and the two of us, groveling around in the dark must have painted a rather ridiculous picture, anyway, to make a long story short, someone (a V.C.) opened fire on our hooch with some kind of automatic weapon. Then our guards got into the fight, and I had the shit scared out of me. It lasted about 5 minutes and all was quiet.
   Today was a real great day, I slept to 9:00. Went to the PX, ate dinner, and went to the beach. I’m presently on duty again as Officer of the Guard, and now the day has turned to rotten. To begin with, I don’t have a jeep to make my round in, I didn’t get to eat supper, and I cut my knee and ripped my pants somehow. Then to make things really humiliating, I lost my steel helmet. I’ll be damned if I know where it went. I just hope the worst of the night has passed.
   Guess what, Tomorrow’s letter will include all the details of R&R. I’m real sure that I received an allocation for June. I’ll get the times and dates tomorrow. Now you can really start planning. OK?

All my love,  

No comments: