Michael Dimitri Balamoti Missing in Action Vietnam November 24, 1969

Michael Dimitri Balamoti 

Major

Unit: 41st Tactical Airlift Squadron 

Date of Birth: 30-Jun-33
Date of Death: 24-Nov-69
City: Glen Falls
State: NY

Notes: Major Balamoti was a member of the 41st Tactical Airlift Squadron, Ubon Airfield, Thailand. On November 24, 1969, he was the navigator of a Lockheed Hercules Transport Aircraft (C-130A) on an operational mission near Ban Bac, while tending his wounded comrades Savannakhet Province, Laos when the aircraft was struck several timed by 37mm anti-aircraft fire, burst into flames and crashed to the ground. His remains were recovered on November 15, 1993 and identified on October 2, 1995. His name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial. For more information see: 

http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BalamotiMD01a.htm

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/112895.htm

http://www.vvmf.org/thewall/Wall_Id_No=2136

Did you know Michael Dimitri Balamoti? Did you serve with him? Did you wear his bracelet? Do you have a story of him or photo to share?  If you can answer yes to any of those questions, please leave a comment, so all can know that he has not been forgotten.

2 comments:

Lisa Ange said...

Yes, I wore his POW/MIA bracelet with great pride. I remember that during my ballet recital, our ballet instructor insisted that I remove the bracelet. I was only a middle school student, but I didn't want to take off that bracelet. My mom convinced me that it was ok and I could put it back on after the preformance. Yes, I still have that bracelet, and yes, I have been to the Vietet Nam memorial in Washington, DC. I have found his name, and done a rubbing. So very special to me. I still pray for his family. God bless you all.

John K. Ellison said...

I began wearing my POW/MIA bracelet for Maj Michael Balamoti while stationed at Hill AFB, Utah, in 1971/1972. I wore it faithfully until his fate was determined a few years later.. Interestingly, my next duty assignment was with the 374th at CCK Air Base, Taiwan, the parent C-130 unit which Major Balamoti flew for in 1969. On a trip to Washington, D.C., in the late 1980s, I located Major Balamoti's name on the Vietnam War Memorial Wall. Over the years, I have repeatedly found myself returning to Michael Balamoti's memory, wondering what might have become of him had he not lost his life so early. I also wonder what became of the family he left behind.