Alfons Aloyze Bankowski Missing in Action, Vietnam March 23, 1961

Alfons Aloyze Bankowski

Staff Sergeant

Unit: 314th Air Division

Date of Birth: 15-Jun-30
Date of Death: 23-Mar-61
City: Stamford
State: CT

Notes: Staff Sergeant Bankowski was a member of the 314th Air Division, Osan Airbase, Korea. On March 23, 1961, he was the flight engineer of a Skytrain Transport Aircraft (C-47) on a flight from Vientiane to Saigon. Enroute the pilot turned north towards Xieng Khouangville, Laos to gather intelligence. Pathet Lao anti-aircraft shot the aircraft down. His remains were not recovered. His name is inscribed on the Courts of the Missing at the Honolulu Memorial. Fore more information see: http://www.taskforceomegainc.org/b357.htm

http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BankowskiAA01a.htm

http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/b/b357.htm

Did you know Alfons Aloyze Bankowski? Did you serve with him? Did you wear his bracelet? Do you have a story of him or photo to share?  If you can answer yes to any of those questions, please leave a comment, so all can know he has not been forgotten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Al,

You are not Forgotten.

Your Nephew BAS SSGT USAF 1969-1973

Nancy Walker said...

I always remember you even though we never met. The short version of the story is that I had playfully swiped the bracelet from a friend, who had purchased it when he was in Basic Training (AF). I was intrigued by the date on it. You went missing 12 years, to the day, before I was born. The year I was born you were officially declared deceased. After a panic attack, I left the bracelet for him. I thought I wasn't worth his friendship anymore because I didn't understand panic attacks.

He chased me down and put it back on my wrist, telling me that only he could determine if I was worthy to wear it. That was 1 June 1990. We dated until 1993, when we were married and are still together today.

I wore the bracelet everyday until our wedding. I've worn it off and on since then. It's a core piece of jewelry along with my promise ring, my engagement ring, my wedding band, and my mother's ring.

I have a blog post about the incident which lead to my receiving the bracelet. There is an image of the bracelet there. If your family would like a copy of the image please contact me and I will gladly share it. http://www.nancycwalker.com/2015/06/day-70-non-anniversary.html